- FELIX'S CORNER

"The mind is a terrible thing to be wasted" Negroe' Fund

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

28 October 2013

My new found Immigrant friends
I was demoralized…for the succinctly placed, but rather passion shredded critique of my group presentation which was theme, “The immigrant street child”. Streetism as a topic certainly may have been overtly over tackled by students in their research work; the media might not be an exception to this observation. But arguably, from a personal perspective, I think streetism as it pertains to the children of immigrant’s plying precisely major areas like Circle, 37 station area, Oxford street,  Tetteh Quarshie roundabout (Accra Mall) and many others have been an issue of neglect.

My argument is simple, no matter the redundancy of researches, and media reportage on the issue as my visual Communications lecturer, Mr. Kuffour accosted; to me is out of the issue when trends over the years as it pertains to highlighting the issue is only targeted at children of Ghanaian descent. Many of who after all, suffer such fates, probably due to the irresponsible nature of some ill-prepared people who in the haste of satisfying their sexual libido’s brought them into this world. But for the immigrant child whose case is yet to be considered, I think has only unfairly being victims of bad political leadership; a situation which has herald unbearable economic hardship, conflict, extreme hunger and loads of problems. These unbearable situations certainly would warrant migration to safer grounds on any given day, and the parents to these children, did just that.

Fatima, one of these unfortunate children
We have been very welcoming to many of our neighbours, why not them? Don’t they also deserve the several refugee camps; the financial help, clothing, education, protection and food aids; the nation in partnership with other UN agencies provide to people who suffered their fate in years past? They sincerely do. So why are they left wandering our major streets with no concern.

I am not privy to any intelligence that captures any difficulty in sending these children to school and even keep them proven futile; as it did cropped up during the presentation. But let me try accepting this as the truth substantiated. In any given case, which one amongst you would accept death in exchange for life? Only the ingrates to the goodies life can present would do that, I guess. Therefore, if it’s true that the parents to these children are the masterminds behind their not staying in the classroom, don’t you think they are justified? It’s a food for thought. I don’t think I ought to explicate the logic thereof. Establish the parent, and their children, who happen to be the main source to livelihood would have the peace to stay in the class.

To fellow countrymen who might argue that our nation is yet to make headway with the issue as it pertains to the indigene Ghanaian street child, I don’t begrudge you for such a concern, but, if that is to be a justification for the negligence in the case of the immigrant child, then, your argument is flawed. I don’t think as vociferous and assertive as we are in our concerns, we would ever buy into any school of thought that advocates for the case that our older siblings, if any, should cherry pick all the goods there is to life before our concerns are given a hearing. The good for the Ghanaian child on our streets; is equally a good for the immigrant street child, though not descent citizens.” What’s good for the gander is good for the goose”.

The issue of their root can be argued for long. Majority of these as I am reliably informed are even given birth to right here in Ghana. Therefore, one can even argue for them as being descents of Ghana, no matter their make-up. Our receptiveness should not only be for disasters; but equally, plans to forestall sure happenings beforehand.

If indeed I was speculative rather than being factual; then forgive me for the inadequacies, it’s one of those things, but I think I was blatant with my concern. The best for these immigrant children and their future is my concern.
I would come back stronger, I promise. The next time round, all the inadequacies would be adequately covered. The said intelligence on the situation of the immigrant child would be tracked, till then, keep your figures crossed.







1 comment:

Comments System

Disqus Shortname

RECENT POST

11TH October; A Day for the Girl Child

According to the United Nations website, in the year 2011, a resolution established 11 October as the International Day of the Girl Chil...

Popular Posts